A Focus on Water Conservation
Conscious of our campus’ location in the Mojave Desert, we renovated our campus with the intent of increasing water efficiency and lessening the burden on municipal water supply and wastewater systems. The Zappos headquarters received six total credits, including the bonus credits, under the LEED water category.
- The collective efforts of landscape irrigation practices, landscape plant selection, and domestic water fixture selection resulted in an impressive 57% reduction in water consumption (as compared to the baseline)!
- The sustainability team's commitment to cutting water usage included replacing inefficient, 40-year-old toilets and sinks with low-flow counterparts at a premium to the budget. We also donated the old, working fixtures to Habitat for Humanity Las Vegas.
- We installed reverse osmosis, activated-oxygen water purification stations are all over the campus, dispensing both hot and cold water. Zappos also gives away reusable mugs and glasses to decrease the use of water bottles and one-time-use cups.
- Sophisticated, highly efficient Bosch Ecosense dishwashers were installed in the eighteen kitchenettes to reduce excess wastewater.
- We didn’t forget about the big stuff – we replaced two of our three large cooling towers with new efficient models and replaced the media in the third.